The association met at 7:00pm at Childreach.
- Angela called the meeting to order at 7:05
- MOTION: Jeff made a motion to approve the previous minutes, seconded by Deb, the motion passed.
- Andrea McNaughton and Dhira Ghosh from the City joined us to speak about the simcoe monument.
- Embarking on a community consultation process regarding the simcoe school war monument (currently located on Simcoe street in front of Simcoe Gardens). Hoping to restore it and potentially relocate it.
- There is no rush, will do due diligence
- Property of the City of London – the City is responsible for maintenance
- Some students from the Simcoe school went to war during WW1 and died. This monument was in memory of them.
- Jamie offered the assistance of the association in gathering information regarding public sentiment regarding the monument.
- Potential locations include one of the parks in the neighbourhood or at the Goodwill across the road.
- Angela requested a progress report in September
- Although we were originally going to elect a vice president during this meeting, nobody was there to have their name stand.
- MOTION: Nancy made a motion to postpone the election of VP, seconded by Gord. The motion passed.
- Angela raised the issue of us not being able to continue using the Roundhouse for our meetings.
- Childreach on Maitland have offered to host us. They have ample space and their building is fully accessible.
- The executive will make arrangements and announce the location and time once it is finalized.
- MOTION: Jamie made a motion to write a thank you letter to the roundhouse. Seconded by Deb. The motion passed.
- Angela brought up the question of whether or not we should partner with Villager publications
- It will help to get the word out to people, even if most people don’t read it
- All of the advertisers would be local businesses (from the neighbourhood)
- It would be called the “SoHo Villager”
- It would cost us nothing, paid for by advertising. We can submit articles and photos for free.
- MOTION: Nancy made a motion to approach villager publications, seconded by Deb. The motion passed.
- Angela has a plan for a membership drive, and it will revolve around the announcement of the plans for the hospital lands.
- Market Update
- Gord suggested cooperating with local businesses
- Shelley gave an update on the market
- She assisted last year and is also the market manager for the Southdale Market.
- She is cross marketing between the two markets.
- She will contact Heemans about getting strawberries
- Looking towards starting up June 28th. We have 4 vendors, aiming for 10.
- First market week is free.
- Vegetable vendors are needed.
- Had an interview with the Free Press, they are mostly focused on licensing issues and delays.
- Laurie asked when the “Block Party” dance party would be happening
- Angela said she would find out more information
- Laurie announced that the city has changed garbage collection to 3 bags (from four).
- Jamie gave an update on our Libro Prosperity Fund grant
- We have made it through the first round and will be presenting to Libro tomorrow night
- The funds would go towards the 2017 market as they are not released until the fall.
- The aim is to make it self sustaining. This is a one-time grant, but they are looking for the project to fund itself after the first year.
- Majority of the costs are marketing, insurance,and capital expenditures.
- The movie night is this weekend. Movie will not be able to begin until sunset, so activities have been arranged to entertain people until the movie starts.
- Jeff announced that a commemorative plaque for the naming of “Richmond Row”
- MOTION: At 8:12pm, Shelley made a motion to adjourn, Gord seconded, the motion passed.