Minutes – November 18th, 2015

  • Cheri called the meeting to order at 7pm
  • We went around the room and everyone introduced themselves
  • Cheri announced her resignation (letter to be attached)
  • Jamie made a motion to elect a new president on January 20th, seconded by Nancy, unanimously approved.
  • Jamie will accept any nominations for president.
  • Thames River Rally River cleanup will be in the parking lot of Long & McQuade
  • Mike Small joined us and introduced himself
    • New owner of the Vic
    • Has a liquor license application submitted, hopes to have it open at the end of December/beginning of January
    • Menu will be traditional british pub food
    • Building a stage in the games room, hopes to have live music – local bands
    • Will display works from local artists
    • Does not want to change much, wants to restore, capitalize on the history
  • Manitos hopes to open soon (Editor’s Note:  Manitos is now open!)
  • Posno flowers is now closed
  • The legion has the top two floors for lease
  • Nancy Powers gave us an update from the centre of hope
    • She explained the programs that they administer
    • They want to focus on getting people in homes instead of shelters – moving people into the community
    • Will support moving youth out of the centre
    • Crowds in front of the building will dissipate
    • Will provide financial assistance for rent and utility arrears (see http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/ontario-electricity-support-program/ for details)
  • Developing a community garden
  • For the love of laundry moved into the pathways building on Horton
  • Cheri introduced the students from Ivey who are helping us with our food security initiative
    • They will be conducting a survey
    • Some ideas they are brainstorming are a greenhouse or providing transportation to grocery stores
    • The second group suggested the option of having delivery, pooling orders – possibly providing a central pickup location
  • Cheri called attention to our food garden in Meredith park
    • Unity church has expressed interest in helping
    • Laurie proposed producing some kind of map to show people what food is where
  • Jamie provided an update on the Active & Green program
  • Cheri provided an update on the Western public history project
  • Cheri asked if anybody was interested in participating in the SoHo Blues event – volunteers are needed
    • This is a brand new event, not replacing/moving an existing event
    • Workign with the great lakes blues society
    • Could use this to drive creating a natural amphitheatre
  • Cheri asked for input on conversion of South/Grey to two-way operation
    • Laurie distributed a survey from Councillor Park on this
  • Jamie made a motion at 8:24pm to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Deb. Unanimously passed. The meeting adjourned

Minutes – October 21, 2015

The members of the association met at Maple View Terrace on October 21st, 2015. Cheri called the meeting to order at 7:00pm.

  • Kyle Gonyou, from the City of London was invited to present to us on heritage
    • Kyle is a heritage planner in the urban regeneration group
    • The department of history at Western is doing a project on heritage in our neighbourhood
    • Western was previously here in 2011
    • The RFP for the hospital lands will be going out in November
    • A stabilization report was received for the Colborne building, it is in good shape and efforts are being made to retain it, the war memorial children’s hospital and the health services building
    • We have over 1200 properties in SoHo
    • A large number of heritage properties (yellow dot) are listed in SoHo, but not many are designated (red dot) (NOTE JAMIE: provide instructions for locating the info in citymap)
    • Direction has been provided by Council to perform a heritage conservation district study for SoHo
    • Significant elements of heritage designated properties are identified, and those are the focus of any efforts to preserve the building
  • Michael Dove, from Western was also invited, with 9 of his students to present to us on heritage and the Public History program at Western
    • His program is the oldest public history program in the country
    • It’s about putting history to work in the community
    • Students spend a lot of time communicating stories to a broader audience than just academics
    • It’s a 12 month program with 8 months of coursework followed by a summer internship
    • They are busy putting together material for the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21
    • Students are also working with ACO and LACH on heritage designation projects
    • The student’s reports on SoHo properties are due the second week of December, and the information should come back to us early next year.
  • Jamie made a motion (seconded by Maria) to approve the sending of a letter supporting the installation of needle bins in Richard B. Harrison and Meredith Park. The motion passed.
  • Nancy requested that Jamie forward a list of the volunteers from the last meeting
  • Jamie made a motion (seconded by Cheri) to approve the last meeting’s minutes. The motion passed.
  • Alex Meilutis and Vanessa Kinsley from environmental programs at the city wanted to pick a date for the “Active and Green” community discussion.
    • A few dates were suggested
      • wed, nov 11
      • fri, nov 13
      • sat, nov 14
      • mon, nov 16
    • Saturday was chosen tentatively, with 2-2.5 hours needed. Can be done as a drop-in, with food provided.
  • Some students from Ivey business school are helping us with our food security initiative. They will present us with a full business plan for our social enterprise.
    • Cheri will be meeting with them this month
    • December 5th it will be presented.
  • The meeting adjourned at 8:20pm

Minutes – September 16th 2015

The meeting was called to order by Jamie at 7:00pm

  • Laurie suggested doing introductions as there were a lot of new faces at this meeting.  We went around the table and introduced ourselves.
  • Cheri introduced Amelia, who has been helping us with our social media accounts
  • Jamie introduced Pat Donnelly, who gave an overview of his team and the Active and Green program
    • Pat’s group primarily is concerned with watersheds
    • Active and Green is about environmental protection and healthy living
    • Some suggestions which have come up are some kind of an outdoor performance space in a park and community gardens
    • They would be interested in holding an event to discuss community concerns
    • Project Neutral – a tool which you can use to compare your energy consumption with neighbours
    • Pat told us about “Back to the River”, a design project which is focused on the Thames River in central London.  This is an opportunity to include a performance space.
    • Parks planning also has a master plan, we can work with them to put priority on parks that we are interested in (i.e. Richard B. Harrison)
    • Pat will look into programs which incentivize energy efficiency in rental properties and get back to us, we will email it to everyone who was present at the meeting.
    • It was suggested and agreed that if available to us, the London Roundhouse would be used as the venue for a community forum to prompt discussion and ideas for our Active and Green initiative (Mover:  Jamie, Seconder:  Laurie)
  • Volunteers
    • Need grant writers
    • Need to do succession planning
    • Make a list of who can help – executive to digest
  • Jamie provided the market update
  • Cheri provided a project update
    • Needle bins for Richard B. Harrison Park
    • Meredith park – edible plants
    • We will have construction for a while still
    • Hospital lands – all buildings on Hill will be coming down as well as the nurse’s residence.  The war memorial children’s hospital and the Health Services building will remain.
    • Reforest London has 10 more trees to give away for the neighbourhood.  We will send out an email, if more than 10 are interested, 10 people will be chosen at random.
    • Heritage designation
    • Western is doing a study of the history of 10 houses in SoHo, will attend next month’s meeting
    • Possible holiday event in SoHo – November
    • We may have a public speaker to come and talk to SoHo about safety, biggest concern heard at the picnic was safety.  The boys and girls club may be a good resource as well  Jamie will talk to Tanya Park about the holes along the CN fence.
    • Cheri spoke about Job Creation Programs – grants created to hire staff for us
    • Cheri wants to create a resource list – a list of items that are available within the community for nonprofits/community groups to use – we could hire a resource coordinator for this
    • Angela needs submissions for the newsletter
    • We need volunteers to deliver the newsletters
    • We will reach out to the planning division to see about coming to a future meeting
  • Cheri told us about her Jenny Jones proposal (URL)
  • Jeff Blake raised concerns about the Block Party – noise, he will be writing a letter.
  • Laurie advised us that N+1 cycle will have a sale this Saturday
  • OEV has their AGM next thursday
  • Hidden History of Hamilton Road – Lost Rivers of the Hamilton Road Area – is an even taking place Thursday Sept 17, 7-8:30PM, at Richard E. Crouch Library

Meeting Minutes – May 20th, 2015

  • Cheri announced that we are now officially incorporated as a Non Profit
    • Jamie needs to register an alternate trade name to operate the market under.
  • Pat Donelly joined us from the Urban Watershed program
    • Pat introduced himself and explained the purpose of his program
    • They are looking for six communities to try working with them to help with implementing the communities’ environmental initiatives through their “Active and Green” program
      • Jamie volunteered to be the point of contact for this program
    • Pat presented a report entitled “How Green is London” (on City website), explaining how environmentally conscious various communities within the city are.
    • Pat explained the “Back to the River” program, which seeks to find innovative ways to make better use of the city’s waterfront – the old Victoria hospital lands are one of the locations selected for a project as part of this.
  • Food not lawns gave some trees to Meredith Park, they have more to give us. The hope is to also plant these in the park.  Volunteers are needed, both for the planting and for maintaining the trees on an ongoing basis.  If you want to volunteer, please fill out this doodle poll to help choose a date.
  • We are finally getting our pocket park at Horton/Richmond, a community planning event is scheduled for Thursday, June 11th from 4pm-7pm at the park location.
  • Construction on South/Colborne will proceed through the summer, major upgrades will be happening along Colborne, including separated bike lanes. A public participation meeting will be held to discuss converting Grey/South to two way (date forthcoming).
  • The newsletter should be completed by June 9th, and wherever possible should be coordinated with events to allow for free advertising.
  • The Duchess of Kent Legion is looking to move to the former officer’s mess at Wolsely Barracks, please contact the minister of defence to show your support for this.
  • Our AGM is next month, Cheri is looking to use a theme of SoHo Superheroes, choose someone who does a lot for the community and nominate them!
  • June 27th is Celebrate SoHo and the Junk in the Trunk sale at the Legion. Inside will be an information/fun fair showcasing SoHo businesses, individuals, and organizations.  Outside will be the sale.  Tables inside will be $15 for SoHo businesses, $10 for SoHo Non-profits/organizations, and $25 for businesses/organizations located outside of SoHo.  Tables outside for the sale will be $10 for SoHo residents and $20 for everyone else.  Please contact Cheri at london.ca@gmail.com or (519) 661-8581 for more information.